The rheumatology service forms part of a range of services provided by the Sussex MSK Partnership. The aim of the service is to provide patients with a high quality service that is based in a community setting, such as at a GP surgery.
Some patients with inflammatory conditions are considered at higher risk of contracting Covid-19. To check your level of Coronavirus risk please refer to the flowchart linked here.
If you are well, do NOT stop taking your anti-rheumatic medication unless advised to do so by your Rheumatology team. By stopping your medication you may be more likely to flare which could put you at increased risk of contracting any infection.
Do NOT stop steroid treatment suddenly.
To protect yourself and others, please wash your hands with soap and water for 20 seconds, cough into a tissue and discard immediately, avoid touching your face and avoid contact with anyone who is unwell.
- Link to NHS – https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/
- Link to NRAS – https://www.nras.org.uk/coronavirus
- Link to NASS – https://nass.co.uk/managing-my-as/covid19-coronavirus/
- Link to Versus Arthritis – https://www.versusarthritis.org/
- Link to ROS – Osteoporosis Support groups – https://theros.org.uk/information-and-support-events-suspended
For health and wellbeing information you can visit our dedicated Health & Wellbeing page. Weight management, activity guidance, and smoking and alcohol support can all help to improve pre-operative and post-operative recover.
The Community Rheumatology Service
- Versus Arthritis – https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/fibromyalgia/
- Fibromyalgia UK – http://www.fmauk.org/
- NHS – https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Fibromyalgia/
- NRS – nrshealthcare.co.uk/articles/condition/fibromyalgia
Hypermobility Sprectrum Disorder and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome
- Sussex Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome support group – SEDS – https://www.sussexeds.com/
- Ehlers-Danlos Support UK – https://www.ehlers-danlos.org/
- Hypermobility Syndromes Association HMSA –https://www.hypermobility.org/
- Versus Arthritis Joint Hypermobility – https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/joint-hypermobility/
- Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Society – https://www.ehlers-danlos.com
- Ehlers-Danlos RCGP Toolkit – https://www.rcgp.org.uk/clinical-and-research/resources/toolkits/ehlers-danlos-syndromes-toolkit.aspx
- NRAS – https://www.nras.org.uk/
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Support Network – https://www.rheumatoidarthritis.org/
- Versus Arthritis Rheumatoid Arthritis – https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/rheumatoid-arthritis/
The National Osteoporosis Society (NOS) is a UK wide charity dedicated to ending the pain and suffering caused by osteoporosis. NOS produces a wide range of information leaflets, booklets and factsheets for people living with osteoporosis and for those wanting to improve their bone health. The charity also provides a free osteoporosis helpline and self-management support groups.
- For ‘Fracture prevention’ – avoiding accidents and falls
- For ‘Fracture prevention’ -healthy living
- For ‘Introduction to osteoporosis’
- Osteporosis (ARUK)
Self Management for osteoperosis
Support and advice can be gained from NOS by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org
The Brighton & Hove National Osteoporosis Society support group meets at Maycroft Manor Care Home in Brighton (2-8 Carden Avenue, BN1 8NA) every first Wednesday of the month from 14.30 to 16.00. There are no meetings in January and August.
For information about osteoporosis please click on the recommended links:
My life Brighton & Hove – an on-line directory listing local Brighton & Hove and national organisations / services to support everyday living.
- Versus Arthritis Osteoporosis – https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/osteoporosis/
- Royal Osteoporosis Society – https://theros.org.uk/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4rTA5JHC6AIVmYXVCh1BFQiWEAAYASAAEgJHrPD_BwE
- Understanding Osteoporosis – https://theros.org.uk/information-and-support/understanding-osteoporosis
- Living with Osteoporosis – Reducing your risk – https://theros.org.uk/information-and-support/living-with-osteoporosis/reducing-your-risk-of-broken-bones
- Looking after your Bones – https://theros.org.uk/information-and-support/looking-after-your-bones
- The Psoriasis and Psoriatic Arthritis Alliance – https://www.papaa.org/
- Versus Arthritis Psoriatic Arthritis – https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/psoriatic-arthritis/
- National Ankylosing Spondylitis Society – https://nass.co.uk/
- Versus Arthritis Ankylosing Spondylitis – https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/ankylosing-spondylitis/
Links to Other Helpful Resources
- Managing your pain – https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/managing-symptoms/managing-your-pain/
- An on-line directory listing local Brighton & Hove and national organisations / services to support everyday living – My life Brighton & Hove
- Living Well Programme – https://www.sussexcommunity.nhs.uk/downloads/services/living-well-programme/lwp-patient-leaflet.pdf
- Looking after your joints when you have arthritis – http://sussexmskpartnershipcentral.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Looking-after-your-joints.pdf
- Inflammatory Arthritis and Work – http://sussexmskpartnershipcentral.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Inflammatory-Arthritis-and-Work.pdf
- Getting the most from your Inflammatory Arthritis Medicines – https://www.abpi.org.uk/media/1332/getting_the_most_from_your_inflammatory_arthritis_medicines.pdf
- Looking after your joints – https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/managing-symptoms/joint-care/
- Fatigue Management – https://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/daily-life/fatigue.aspx
- Breathing for Relaxation – https://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/daily-life/fatigue.aspx
- NHS Fitness Studio – https://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/nhs-fitness-studio/